Published Wed Jan 18 2023
How to Increase Photo Resolution in Useful And Simple Ways
For printing and enlarging photos, you need the greatest resolution or denser image quality.
Have you ever tried to insert a photo in a design only to be frustrated because it is too small, blurry, or otherwise unusable? Cohesive design work will be considerably simpler to produce if you discover how to improve image resolution.
The resolution is about a photo detail and is determined by focus accuracy, camera sensor pixel count, and the quality of the lens. If you are willing to print your photo, you should also take other factors, such as the display medium, size, and quality of the print, into consideration as well. The term ‘resolution’ frequently refers to the pixels per inch in a print, lens resolving power, and the overall pixel count of a digital image. It is frequently used to refer to the overall number of pixels in a digital image and the pixels per inch in print.
What is Image Resolution?
Image resolution is the sum of pixels across all dimensions. Depending on the size of its sensor and pixel density, your camera creates images of a specific size.
You remove pixels from an image when you crop it. Consequently, an image will have a lower resolution than what your camera is capable of. So, if there are not enough pixels or a resolution that is high enough, your image will have low quality or look grainy. In other words, the more pixels there are, the higher your image resolution will be. Even though it is not easy to improve the resolution of an original image, it does not mean it is impossible.
The fineness of the pixels inside the designated area is referred to as image resolution. PPI, or pixels per inch, is the unit of measurement for this figure. Your image resolution increases with increasing PPI. In general, a printed image with a greater PPI will be sharper and of higher quality.
Pixel Dimensions refer to the number of pixels as well as the width and height of your image.
PPI (pixels per inch) is a term that describes the number of digital pixels that make up a square inch of a digital image (digital resolution on a screen).
DPI (dots per inch) is a term that describes the number of dots that can be arranged in a line within an inch.
What is the Highest Possible Resolution for Images?
Your design will either look fuzzy or crystal clear, depending on the difference between low and high resolution. For printing and enlarging photos, you need the greatest resolution or denser image quality. When we zoom in, the low-resolution photographs appear blurry or pixelated because you can see each individual pixel, even though they may look great at their usual size (100%).
The minimum pixel density for high-resolution photos is 300 PPI. For anything you desire as a physical copy, this resolution ensures good print quality and is essentially a requirement.
The resolution also enables you to figure out how much you can enlarge an image. This is helpful, especially if you are willing to find out what size you can print something and make sure it still looks well. To get the maximum print size in inches, divide the image's pixel size (dimension) by the resolution (at least 300 PPI). So, if your image is 1500 pixels in length at 300 PPI, then you can print it up to five inches or so (1500 divided by 300).
Recommended Image Resolution for Different Projects
Before you learn how to improve the resolution of an image, you should know what the preferable image resolution for the design project you are working on is.
- Small posters are used for concerts, school activities, general notices, etc., and are ideally suited for bulletin boards. The compact size doesn't take up a lot of room. To help you convey your message, try utilizing fewer graphics and large, bold writing. 11 x 17 inches and 3300 x 5100 pixels are suggested sizes for small posters.
- Medium posters work best for outdoor advertising. They can be used as promotional materials or essential announcements for outdoor events. As its size is bigger, it allows you to include more information, graphics, and images. 18 × 24 inches and 2400 × 7200 pixels are suggested sizes for medium posters.
- Large posters are suitable for movie posters or decorating. They are great as they enable you to show large images and include a bunch of information. You can use different sizes and color palettes to grab the audience’s attention. 24 × 36 inches and 7200 × 10800 pixels are suggested sizes for large posters.
- Letter brochure is a paper size widely used in printing. It provides you with enough space to include lots of information, as well as visuals related to your theme. Suggested sizes for letter brochures are 8.5 × 11 inches and 2550 × 3300 pixels.
- Legal brochure can include a lot of visuals along with the text about your offer. Suggested sizes for legal brochures are 8.5 x 14 inches and 2550 × 4200 pixels.
- Tabloid brochures are great if you want to print a menu for a restaurant, for instance. Suggested sizes for tabloid brochures are 11 × 17 inches and 3300 × 5100 pixels.
- Small flyers include only the most essential information and are typically used to inform people about offers and discounts at shops. Suggested sizes for small flyers are 4.25 × 5.5 inches and 1275 × 1650 pixels.
- Half-sheet flyers are great when it comes to promoting concerts, other events, or offers with little information. Suggested sizes for half-sheet flyers are 5.5 × 8.5 inches and 1650 × 2550 pixels.
- Letter flyers allow you to include lots of information. They can be used for small events or for cafe menus. Suggested sizes for letter flyers are 8.5 × 11 and 2550 inches × 3300 pixels.
How to Increase Photo Resolution Using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
Using Super Resolution in Lightroom is one of the quickest ways to enhance lower-resolution photographs and produce a high-quality print. Later, as you learn to turn pictures into polaroids or have some branded design you want to print, the quality will be excellent. You won't have to worry about resizing your image to reach the quality you want using this option. In order to double the size and quadruple the pixel count of your image, Lightroom will analyze the context of your photo and automatically select the best-looking pixels to add. Try it out with one of the many supported file types, which include DNG, JPG, TIFF, and PNG.
Below you will find the necessary steps you should take to increase photo resolution in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.
Open your image in Lightroom.
Choose Photo > Enhance.
Click Super Resolution.
How to Increase Photo Resolution Using Adobe Photoshop
If you are willing to control your image resolution, you can use Super Resolution in Adobe Photoshop. After you use Super Resolution, try tools such as Sharpening, Texture, and Noise Reduction to tune your image and achieve the best possible result,
However, it's possible that you'll need to significantly alter the original image's size or add a certain amount of additional pixels. The best option in that situation is classic resampling. Whatever image sizes and resolutions you require can be produced using this method, whether you choose to start by using Super Resolution or resampling.
1. Adjust Pixel Dimensions
If you have particular needs for your image dimensions or sizes— like a brochure at a specific print size, check out the Resample box. It allows you to change the print size and resolution independently, which alters the number of pixels in the image. You can find a step-by-step guide below to get started.
- Open your image in Lightroom.
- Choose Image › Image Size.
- To keep the current ratio of Width to Height, make sure the chain icon connecting these properties is activated.
- Add the values for Width and Height under Dimensions.
- Choose Resample and a method for interpolation.
- If you have a multi-layer image with styles applied to them, choose Scale Styles under the gear icon to scale the effects.
- Once you are done selecting options, click OK for resampling your resized image.
2. Adjust Print Dimensions Without Changing Pixel Dimensions.
You can achieve a high-quality print by changing only the dimension or resolution without adjusting pixel dimensions. The other value will be changed for you automatically by Photoshop while maintaining the aspect ratio and pixel count. Take the following steps.
- Open your image in Photoshop
- Choose Image › Image Size.
- Deselect Resample. The current ratio of Width and Height will be automatically locked.
- If you want to adjust the Resolution, add new values. Photoshop will adjust the Document Size automatically to match.
- To change Document Size, add new values under Height and Width. Photoshop will change the resolution automatically to match.
How to Increase Photo Resolution in Picsart
Thanks to Picsart Image Upscale, you can improve image resolution instantly without damaging the quality. You should trust your images to Picsart Image Upscale and allow AI to detect areas within the image that require enhancement and improvement. There are two ways you can use Picsart to increase photo resolution.
1. Increase Photo Resolution Using Picsart App
- Open the Picsart app.
- Click on the purple plus sign.
- Upload the image you are willing to resize and click on Tools.
- Click on the Resize tool.
- Type your preferred values for width and height and click on Next to save or share your resized image.
2. Increase Photo Resolution Using Picsart Web
- Open the Picsart Resize Image tool on the web.
- Upload the image you aim to resize or pick an image from the stock libraries.
- Choose your desired values for width and height by using the Fit tool.
- Once you finish, click on Export to save or share your resized image.
If you want to have images with high resolution, you need to use the right camera. However, if you do not have the right equipment or want to enhance old digital photos, there are some useful tools you can use, such as Photoshop, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, and Picsart. Using these tools will allow you to achieve the highest image resolution. Play with the features and make sure not to damage the quality of your images.